View Single Post
Unread 07-02-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayne Osborn View Post
Matt,
All I'm getting is a list of sites giving me near rhymes for "conceptual".
Put "conceptual rhyme" in quotation marks when you Google. That way it finds the exact phrase. Not that that necessarily illuminates all that much.

Quote:
I don't understand this: If you come across something acts like rhyme, only with concepts rather than sounds...
How does something act like rhyme, but isn't sounds?

Can you give me a link that explains properly what the term ''conceptual rhyming" actually means? I'm still confused. I'm a dumb blonde after all.
I can't find a link that explains it. I'm not going to claim any expertise here, but I believe I understand the, ahem, concept. So, a traditional rhyme involves two words that sound similar.

But what about an eye rhyme? An eye rhyme involves two words that don't actually rhyme. It's a 'visual' rhyme. The similarity is in how the words look not how they sound. So a conceptual rhymes are like that, except with concepts (or meanings) as opposed to sight or hearing. So, here's a bit of biblical verse:

for he founded it upon the seas
and established it upon the waters

"founded" and "established", "seas" and "waters" are pairs of words that are connected by their meaning. So you can (and people do) call them conceptual rhymes. They echo the meaning rather than the sound, is all.

If you follow this link, and scroll up a page to the poem "On a brothel wall" you'll see a certain Tony Barnstone talk about a conceptual rhyme in a Chinese poem he translated.

A rhyme can be both conceptual and actual. Ralph has suggested on another thread that this is the case in this stanza of Dickinson's:

We passed the School, where Children strove
At Recess—in the Ring—
We passed the fields of Gazing Grain—
We passed the Setting Sun—

'Ring' and 'Sun' have a conceptual similarity (circle) as well as consonant rhyme.

If you look upthread, Walter gave an example (his own?) of limerick using conceptual rhyme. The end words of lines 1,2 & 5 'rhyme' conceptually, and so do the end words of lines 3&4. Though I've never seen one, I reckon one could write a sonnet, say, using conceptual rhymes instead of sound rhymes. I don't know that it'd be a worthwhile venture. Still, maybe something for Drills and Amusements?

How useful all this is, I don't know. Still, things don't always have to useful I guess.

Matt

Last edited by Matt Q; 07-02-2018 at 04:59 PM.