View Single Post
Unread 02-18-2014, 04:12 PM

Thank you, Janice :-) I agree. The arts are also similar in that they are all about relationships and contrast. That makes them a cousin of cooking too!

Miya, any part of this canvas that is only bare paint is not finished yet, actually, not even begun yet, aside from very sketchy layout.This means the area behind her hand, her cloak, skirt and armor (the black areas) her hair, and especially the palm of her hand. None of these are done.

The reason I am posting unfinished work is to see if this will work better for this forum. It seems clear to me that the art forums can not function the same way the poetry forums do.

Visual art is different than poetry in that, because a poem is text, it can continue to be work-shopped even when it is very very close to its final form. This is not true of visual art. Major changes in a painting can ruin it at that stage. How do you make use of a critique of a nearly finished sculpture?

This has always seemed problematic to me as far as this forum goes. So far it has been mainly finished work getting posted. You can critique finished work but you can't workshop it, it accomplishes nothing. It's like pointing out a run in your friend's stocking after you get to the restaurant when it should have been said at the house. If we could get at it while it's in progress we could have lots of fun, especially in this computer age where we can mess with the digital copy before touching the real one.

But...

My instinct tells me that visual artists don't want anyone to see a work until it's done. Hmmmm a bit of a dilemma huh? Soooooo....this is my experiment. I would say this collage is about 50% finished. In the end every bit of canvas will be covered with "stuff". Sadly, pearls and gold won't be happening.