View Single Post
Unread 05-20-2017, 04:16 PM

Thanks very much, John.

I will certainly say that Jeff Sessions is what I would consider pretty much far right in his political thought, and, as I've said plenty of times, I dislike and disapprove of the far right as much as I do the far left. I hate to keep repeating myself, but things get lost in the shuffle, and I don't expect anyone to remember what I've written in this thread or that, or in this post or that.

From what I've seen, I think it might be safe to say he has some racial bias. That's certainly a contemptible trait, especially in a person who holds such a high office.

But, while I was reading one article you linked to, I clicked on another link, and I see this para, from this article

Quote:
Sessions's actual track record certainly doesn't suggest he's a racist. Quite the opposite, in fact. As a U.S. Attorney he filed several cases to desegregate schools in Alabama. And he also prosecuted Klansman Henry Francis Hays, son of Alabama Klan leader Bennie Hays, for abducting and killing Michael Donald, a black teenager selected at random. Sessions insisted on the death penalty for Hays. When he was later elected the state Attorney General, Sessions followed through and made sure Hays was executed. The successful prosecution of Hays also led to a $7 million civil judgment against the Klan, effectively breaking the back of the KKK in Alabama.

No, John, I was not raised in the south. I was born at West Point and raised in Upstate New York. There was a lot of blunt, angry racism all around me in my formative years, and I grew to despise it at a young age. I'm an individualist. I have never understood the idea of making judgments based on groups or collectives. I am stridently opposed to any political idea or movement that subordinates the individual to the collective.

The only way to protect the group, is by protecting the individual.

Last edited by William A. Baurle; 05-20-2017 at 06:45 PM.