View Single Post
Unread 05-14-2022, 08:55 AM

Sequences, variations, cycles, beginning middles and ends, ratios, rhythms, layers, and patterning, and emotions exist in Nature and exist in Nature first before before they exist in human cultures, and between Nature and human cultures are the laws of human psychology used in writing material that does not bore people: The ABA form, of introducing an idea, introducing another idea, and the bringing the first idea back is something more basic and central but underlying the sonnet form, though that to me is specifically more the mental pattern of thesis, antithesis, and synthesis, with specific ration given to each part of the. The mistake of the modernist and post-modernist is to think that everything arbitrary and up to whatever system a creator wants to impose on his materials.

It has been worked out (that appears to be the general consensus) that about 3 minutes is good for a pop song, and the climaxes of those songs occur in specific ratios relative to the pieces length and the climaxes exist within certain patterns. Yeah, one can talk about what the 3 minute pop song says about present Western industrial culture and the manifestations of capitalisms, but that to me is not really about form, it is a kind of humanities type analysis which attempts to situate the 3 minute pop song in the kind of analyses that humanities typically does of situating something within the language of pre-existing theoretical lenses and perspectives that have been taught in a school.

It is not really possible to understand a culture without living in it, or at the very least thoroughly immersing yourself within the culture and its people, of living out a culture within oneself, and even then, one's perspective will never be similar to the natives of that culture, of those born into it, but merely more useful than folk who do not make similar efforts. Because if one does not consider how Nature is itself structured, and how the human mind, especially emotions, itself is structured based on the principles of how Nature is structured, then I do not get what real-world context would be in place to situate the expressions of human cultures; one would be applying theoretical tools which just happen to exist at the moment, instead of principles that apply for all time.

But then I always say that a culture's music will tell you more about the culture directly, because that more clearly encodes the emotional patterning of the people's, both what they express and what they are willing to accept, without the layers of intermediary interpretation that text requires: similarly, it is often not the words someone is speaking that describes their personality, but the emotional tones they express while speaking, the pitches describe so much!

Last edited by Yves S L; 05-14-2022 at 09:12 AM.