Thread: Twisted
View Single Post
Unread 07-23-2018, 07:59 AM

Ann, Yes, I think it is. And a good one. A profound one, in my eyes. What makes found poetry art is how well the poet holds up what he/she has found to catch the light just right. What I see is an ugly two-headed creature: the terrorist and the capitalist. It is like a punch in the gut.

Some other thoughts...
  • The page notations anchor this nicely.
  • The juxtaposition of the facing pages is fascinating and is what makes this piece so compelling. These two lines/facing pages are incredible:
xxxxxxx42. Women covered in dust, running, each holding a terrified child...
xxxxxxx43. Why just wash away the day when you can wash away the years? Olay.
  • I think it also flirts with being an ekphrastic. The italicized parts are “found” and the unitalicised parts are shades of an ekphrastic description. (Although I shudder to think that I'm wrong about what is both "found poetry" and "ekphrastic poetry" : )
  • What gives this it’s punch, I think, is that it is an excellent retrospective snapshot of things that captures the unexpected. Like a photograph taken when no one knew the camera was pointing at them that reveals something no one thought was there.

I had hoped for more response to this thread for exactly the reason this found poem of yours demonstrates. It got off to a rough start with the misunderstanding I guess and everyone walked away… thanks for walking back : )
x