Thread: Rupi Kaur
View Single Post
Unread 01-04-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Steiner View Post
But the spotlight that Raur is getting is not taking any attention from poets that I enjoy more. It's not as if those poets would be getting marketed to that wider demographic if Raur weren't getting such buzz right now.
It is nice indeed to hear from you again, Julie. What you say is true I think. If anything, she increases the segment of the general public to whom poetry speaks and, for that reason, who are more likely to look into other poets besides. It is another avenue to the world of poetry; the more avenues by which to engage the public the better in my opinion. Engagement with some is better than engagement with no poetry. They who read mediocre poetry are at least more likely to engage with better at some point as compared with those who read none at all.

Added later: Unless, possibly I guess, it is of such magnitudinous aridity so as to lead not a soul with breath to a single better piece of poetry whatsoever (even if it had such effect for no more than one individual on the planet, that would be a good thing). But even if it does nobody any good, it does nobody any harm, so I do not care.

Last edited by Erik Olson; 01-04-2018 at 05:44 PM.