View Single Post
Unread 07-21-2019, 05:54 AM

One problem with "converting someone from deplorability" (and a reason not to completely right off the humanity of all Trump voters) is that we've all got our own facts. As an example: It was widely reported how surprised some of Justin Amash's constituents were “to hear there was anything negative in the Mueller report at all about President Trump.” How would people represented by Republicans who don't have reason to educate them (or by Democrats they've been trained not to trust) learn the truth? And why will they believe me about facts that contradict what they've heard from Fox News and elected representatives?

Trump's wobbliness, his eagerness to satisfy his own short-term emotional needs, may actually strengthen the walls between realities. For instance, voters can now see video of Trump supporters chanting "Send her back" and of Trump calling those people patriots. They can also find video (recorded between the other two) of him saying he didn't like that chant. As news feed algorithms give us what supports our views, a voter won't necessarily see all three. (I know of all three because Trump's self-contradictions support my view of him.) So Trump may be able to give the racists what they want, and satisfy voters who want to think he's trying to discourage racism.