View Single Post
Unread 08-10-2016, 04:50 AM

Bravely battling with Windows 10, I have discovered that the clue to mastering it lies in the translation. Once you can work out what “they” are now calling the thing that you’ve been sucking eggwise from the moment of first-doc, you’re Win-ning.

Now it is Messrs Hewlett Packard that are driving me to the back door of the booby-hatch. They keep sending pop-up messages which make no sense and which defy blocking and uninstallation. Dear hearts, why do you keep sending me a message welcoming me to my new device? I can click on the cross at the top, or on the box saying “done” and it disappears, only to pop up again a few minutes later, going “Boo!” like a look-at-me toddler.

And now – the Good News. It was that last analogy that gave me the clue. Tired of greeting its every appearance with “George – don’t do that” I bethunk me of a way of besting it, based on hard-won parenting skills.

You see, reacting to it with any sort of click clearly encourages it. Now, in every session, as soon as it makes its first appearance, I take it firmly by the cursor and march it uppards, beyond the top limit of my desktop screen, and leave it there. I can just see the edges of its little blue toes peeping over the edge of the Naughty Step, but it can’t come down till I say so. Gotcher!