Thread: W. W. I
View Single Post
Unread 05-09-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McDonnell View Post
Hi Sam. I agree the poem is much bigger, and the 'you' of the poem much more universal, than any feelings of personal distaste at Pope's poetry that may have prompted Owen to write it. Still, fascinating nonetheless to see how a poem that has become such an icon began with such a personal, small-scale rebuke.
With or without the targeted dedication, I'm impressed by the fact that Owen could convey his disgust at jingoism in such a way that the end of the poem feels like a generous invitation to change one's mind and heart, and confidence that the invitation would be accepted. The implication of the (rightly edited out) dedication is that Owen felt even the jingoist who inspired his disgust to be worthy of such an invitation, and capable of such change. That's why I'm delighted to learn of the dedication's existence, even though I'm glad for the poem's sake that it's no longer there.

Owen's generous attitude is one I'd like to aspire to, whether in a political poem or a political conversation. [Edited to say: Yes, my poems and posts abound with examples of my having fallen short of that attitude, but it's still aspirational.]

Last edited by Julie Steiner; 05-09-2017 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Can't leave well enough alone