Thread: Alice Paintings
View Single Post
Unread 04-10-2015, 03:09 PM

Lorraine, thanks for your comments. The piece is titled Alice Paintings, 'desert paintings' appeared in the YouTube but that was just the name of the uploaded file. While I was in Alice Springs, there was a lot of greenery around, the Australian desert 'blooms' occasionally with both flowers and grasses and so 'desert' is slightly misleading.
Also I did at no stage set out to 'paint the desert' so the works are simply influenced by where I was living.
The guitar work is similarly more reflective of my mood while in Alice Springs (my mother had died the year before) and despite my many aboriginal friends I was very much alone and a long way from family.
Technically the piece is rather amateurish, I have no technical expertise in this area and the music is too soft and I did not know how to edit out the several mistakes in my guitar playing. (If anyone is wondering the music is an original composition.)
Similarly the paintings are not in any one style nor do they tell a story.
I hope the piece 'hangs together', that the mood of the music does compliment the paintings and the piece overall conveys something of what I felt, both joyous and sad.
Central Australia is an extreme environment, both socially ( Alice is a 60% aboriginal town ) and environmentally no place seems more inhospitable. But it is glorious in it's grandeur and sense of freedom, you feel as little as a bull ant and yet as immense as the sky.

Roger, it is perfectly fine with me if you don't like the paintings within the piece, but as you admit you know little about modern art, so you unable to say why you don't like the paintings, to do so you would need to have the expertise, to know the history of art and where my different styles ( 5 in the piece) fit in and how they compare. Someone who knew what they were talking about would immediately see for example that some of the paintings are influenced by Rothko, some by the op art of Riley, many by impressionist techniqes developed by for example Monet. But this is the sort of expertise not found here at Erato, so I don't expect crits to be of that nature.

Last edited by ross hamilton hill; 04-10-2015 at 03:59 PM.