View Single Post
Unread 08-16-2022, 07:48 AM

"Ornitographies is a balance between art and science; a nature-based dissemination project and a visual poetry exercise but above all, an invitation to perceive the world with the same curious and innocent look of the child we once were"

This concept strikes at the heart of two things I carry with me always:
The concept that children think like artists (that Picasso quote comes to mind)
The concept of re-awakening and then retaining the child that goes into hibernation within us as our worldly experiences pile up and then, having re-kindled that child-like spirit, continuing to nurture that childlike perception of the world all our lives.

I think my favorite poets here have that quality.

Just the other day we were having lunch outside on a perfect summer afternoon with friends at a restaurant. They had a nine year-old daughter who was a pleasure to be around and observe. Every one of her movements, expressions, etc. were animated with a kind of art-filled exuberance that children possess. For example, she became antsy after a while and so began to look around the patio we were eating on and saw birds hoping around on the ground and in the bushes and flowers at the periphery. She hopped down out of her tall chair, stooped down and began following the birds, talking to them, holding her hands out as if they might want to sit and rest in them awhile — all done as if she were invisible to us grownups having grownup conversations and preoccupied with the food on our plates. She was very good-natured and at one point during the meal she declared dramatically that she was going to the bathroom and that when she returned she would be a different person. She slid down her tall chair with a sly smile on her face and disappeared inside. A few minutes later when she returned with a self-conscious smile on her face her mother said to her, "Are we to believe you are now someone else?" She said something like. "No, it's me. I changed my mind. I like being myself."
If I could talk to, be with children for a while every day I would be happy.

Here is a poem I wrote — a kind of ekphrastic — as I looked at the collection of ornitography created by the artist on the website you linked. Thanks for making my day. It's only half past eight in the morning!

Avian Aggregate

Above waterfall
circling stone
alighting tree
traversing ocean
scribbling bare air
woven like hair
seeded in field
made by wingbeat
cloud of sound
storm of flight
slipstreaming
like graceful words
across the page

Last edited by Jim Moonan; 08-16-2022 at 08:27 AM.