View Single Post
Unread 08-02-2019, 08:45 AM

Default Calligraphy and a review of Convivio

I don’t often post in this forum, but a couple of things have come up I’d like to mention.

One thing is my favorite publication ever of a single poem of mine, which has been selected from the calligrapher Gaynor Goffe’s many renditions of poems to represent her work at the Contemporary Museum of Calligraphy in Moscow. The poem, called “Logos,” was workshopped here a few years ago, to its betterment. Gaynor is one of the leading calligraphers in the U.K. (and, rare in her field, left-handed!), and a friend of mine, so I wanted to call attention to her work—it’s such a rich way to read and savor a poem, you might want to hire her to set your own work to ink with a flare.

The other mention is a review of my edition of Dante’s Convivio, which is in the July issue of Speculum, the journal of the Medieval Academy of America. The reviewer is a leading Dantist, Simon Gilson, so it’s especially a boon that he gave it two thumbs up. I wanted to mention this here in part to let interested people know that, though the price of the book has been exorbitant, it is scheduled to be out in paperback next year some time.