Thread: Poetry Slams
View Single Post
Unread 04-10-2019, 04:14 PM

I've never been to a poetry slam, but I have an idea in my head of what I might expect if I did. Based on this wholly prejudiced stereotype, I'm not sure I'd like it. I picture much competitive emoting and whooping collective righteousness. Then again, I've never been to a poetry reading of any sort. Not through any principle, they just don't really happen where I live and on the occasions that my family allow me out to roam the streets I would much rather go to see a band. As would more or less everyone I know. Maybe one day. Though I suspect I like my poetry best on the page, under a lamp, where I can see the shape of it and hear it in my own voice and read it at my own pace. A private pursuit.

(Edit: Having said all that, I quite enjoy watching youtube videos of poets reading aloud. I just don't subscribe to the idea that it's better somehow, that the poem doesn't really come alive until you hear it. I can hear it perfectly well in my own head, and sometimes quietly mumbled from my lips)

Quote:
a nasty Twitter pile-on informed by what seems to be a Cliff's Notes version of a cultural studies handbook transcribed via a game of telephone.
Ha. Quincy, you make me chuckle.