View Single Post
Unread 08-28-2019, 10:35 PM

Default The Book of the Red King

Dear Spherians,

I have the hope that you'll be interested in this post, even though I'm not a constant visitor here. I have a collection of formal poems just out, The Book of the Red King (Montreal: Phoenicia Publishing, 172 pages.) Blurbs from Kim Bridgford, Michael Juster, and Kelly Cherry. (Thanks to artist Clive Hicks-Jenkins, the hc jacket or pb cover and interior illuminations are beautiful, and thanks to Elizabeth Adams, the design is also strong.)

HERE is a book page. There's also a book page on facebook.

And here's part of a blurb from Kelly Cherry (the entire quote can be read at the pages mentioned): "Marly Youmans is brilliant....Her poems tell a story, offering us a vision of, well, I would say the Trinity, but that is only one possible interpretation. After a difficult and sometimes dangerous journey, a Red King, a Fool, and Precious Wentletrap converge into one, a resurrection that is heavenly. Is it true, or is it fable or fairytale? ... Her formal poems are impeccable and include sestinas, villanelles, rondels, rhyming schemes she may have invented, and perfect metrical patterns. Every poet can learn from this poet, and the reader—the reader will be spellbound."

Thanks for taking a look.

Best bookish wishes,
Marly