View Single Post
Unread 02-05-2019, 12:32 PM

I've only had time to read the beginning of David Mason's essay, but eagerly look forward to reading the rest of it. So, my response might reflect more than the usual misunderstandings I have here.

Julie, you've stated before that your husband is Chinese-American. Was the Chinese part a particular draw for you? Were you intrigued by "difference"? Culture and race, I suppose you'd call that race, but, whatever, they are two very distinct things. Your blood and what you were born into. Race meaning nothing except other's assumptions about who you are. Which is in fact what we'd call racism. Culture, on the other hand, is a very real thing that possesses both profound beauty and ugliness. It's the ugly part that some have trouble dealing with. (Btw, if your husband is from Taiwan, meaning grew up in Taiwan, they don't quite identify as being Chinese, in that way. Different things. Taiwan is the melting pot that the US claims to be. Lots of Chinese/aboriginal/other cultures calling Taiwan home.)

That said, I think if you're into "identity politics" as a poet, as some unfortunately are (being that it's such a fucking easy target), don't focus on "justice." We have big time super hero movies that do that. Bridge the gap, show us the true individual.

Last edited by James Brancheau; 02-05-2019 at 12:35 PM.