View Single Post
Unread 04-11-2024, 05:49 PM
Administrator

Thanks for that lovely post, Alex.

My husband and I attended David’s funeral on Monday. It was the most amazing send-off. The church was packed and the service was lovely. I read three of David’s poems, and there were tributes from friends and former colleagues. The weather was glorious, too, after incessant rain for weeks.

After the service everyone walked just across the road to David and Brigid’s beautiful house, where a huge marquee was set up in the garden. There was champagne (David would definitely have approved of that!), delicious hot food and a buffet for all the family, neighbours and friends.

I was sitting next to David’s older sister Jane when she produced a poem that she absolutely loved. I caught only a glimpse, but I recognised the name at the bottom. It was my (and many others’) friend, Janice D. Soderling. Jane was excited that I knew her – as the poem was going to be read the next morning, at David’s interment, for just immediate family. It was about the author’s brother. (Janice is going to email it to me; she, too, was thrilled that the poem had such significance for David’s sister.)

I’m still hoping more Sphereans will want to acquire David’s two wonderful books of poetry from me, for themselves and/or as gifts. Here’s my all-time favourite triolet that is SO moving I wouldn’t have been able to read it in the church without tears falling.

Mother’s Day

I hold the phone remembering –
no need to call today.
Routine’s my life raft; as I cling
I hold the phone, remembering
a loss. It is a cruel thing,
this trick the mind can play.
I hold the phone, remembering.
No need to call today.

That, and many, many more wonderful poems are in Words To Say and Passing Through the Woods. Everyone ought to have them on their bookshelves. Please buy them, and at the same time assist Alex to keep the Sphere running smoothly!

Jayne