View Single Post
Unread 04-23-2018, 07:49 AM

Hi, Jayne. Here are a few Monday morning musings:

I’ve been around since 2010 when I was just starting to send work out, all of it formal. I quickly discovered that I’m not good at workshopping my own writing, but I do enjoy reading others’ work and the discussions about poetry, literature, creativity and writing. I look in almost daily with my coffee, but normally I only post when I think I have something meaningful to say, or a different angle on the subject, and when a thread for some reason catches my eye. There have been some fantastic threads over the years, e.g., on 20th century poetry, and the creative process, on poets I’ve never read, etc., which I really enjoyed. Not to mention some memorable poems on the workshop boards.

I find that there is often an inverse relationship between my posting activity on the Sphere and my own writing. Also, I’m not writing formal verse anymore; that makes me question if I still ought to be posting here. I should probably be more active on non-met, which is my interest these days. Regardless, for me the Sphere has been a welcoming community of many splendid writers and interesting and intelligent people, and like John, I’ve whiled away many hours of pleasure and learning on these boards.

One thing I’ve learned about internet boards is that there is a regular churn, and as one of the best bloggers I read says, you have to embrace the churn. To live is to change; people’s lives change, their interests change, writers go through dry spells, many quit writing, some members will come back and some will stay away. You don’t step into the same river twice ... which is not of course to say that the board can’t be improved, but I have no big ideas on how to do that. Others probably do.

M

Last edited by Michael F; 04-24-2018 at 04:58 PM. Reason: edits