View Single Post
Unread 02-10-2018, 11:44 PM

Not to make a claim as to my personal preference, but this is from the blurb for CUP's Ovid in the Middle Ages: "Ovid is perhaps the most important surviving Latin poet and his work has influenced writers throughout the world. [...] It elaborates the scale and scope of the enthusiasm for Ovid in medieval Europe, following readers of the canon from the Carolingian monasteries to the early schools of the Īle de France and on into clerical and curial milieux in Italy, Spain, the British Isles and even the Byzantine Empire."
Here's hoping the volume goes some way to accounting for why Ovid remained a Europe-wide phenomenon across the span of several medieval centuries. I think it goes beyond the chances of manuscript transmission - indeed, it helps to account for that - though argument is always fun, and it's true, the period had some odd preferences.
I could do with looking at both more closely in Latin. I enjoyed the Latin Amores in high school, the Humphries Metamorphoses I find a bit prosy. Propertius - hmm. Catullus has passion. Miser Catulle, desinas ineptire, et quod vides perisse perditum ducas. And for music, I like Virgil and Horace. My Greek is too poor now to hear the Greeks.
Maybe one day I'll work on my Classics again.

Cheers,
John

Last edited by John Isbell; 02-10-2018 at 11:48 PM.