View Single Post
Unread 08-25-2018, 06:18 PM

Yeah, my critique of the poem is not a critique of her. The poem is bad because it doesn't say anything interesting, or say what it says in an interesting way. It's been done before, and done better, countless times.

Now, the critiques of her as a person have always struck me as sexist and simplistic. The music Walter posted was, to me, good. I don't have a taste for really good music, but pop music is essentially the Rupi Kaur of music: it's designed to bring people in and entertain, but not necessarily to challenge. And on one level that's fine; there is a need and a space for it. But there's pretty much no pop music that is doing anything actually fresh; when it seems like it is it is always borrowing from others. But even that feels rare. Because pop music has to sell, it sells comfort, and so it essentially sells nostalgia. That includes the Beatles. Because I have not developed a taste for music that tries to do more, I enjoy the Beatles, but they rarely challenge me lyrically, thematically, or musically. Say what you will about Yoko Ono, but her music always does that.