Thread: Hidden Gems
View Single Post
Unread 04-04-2017, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Ferris View Post
Thanks for that Nabokov quote, Aaron.

ITA on Melville’s novels -- works of immense genius. He also wrote a fair amount of poetry that Jarrell admired, IIRC. I’ll have to give that a go again, sometime. I remember him being kinda lumpy as a poet, as I remember Emerson… I agree on Henry James, who often uses so much of the page to convey so small a thought. I’ll admit he is a smooth writer and does often find le mot juste. I prefer Hardy as a novelist to Hardy as a poet. His novels always delight me. I found his range limited as a poet, as I recall, usually gloomy and morose. But then, he wrote SO MUCH. Maybe I missed the patches of Sun.
I prefer Hardy the novelist as well. I'll never forget Jude the Obscure. I admit, though, I have no collection of his poems, and only know what I've seen anthologized- which I've liked. I loaned Tess of the D'urbervilles to a lady friend and she gave it back to me in a huff, and went on and on about how she hated Tess, calling her a weakling and worse. I think my friend thought it was a romance novel. She read it in two sittings. She also hated my favorite novel*, Foucault's Pendulum, by Umberto Eco.

Amazingly, we stayed together for four years.

*Alright, third favorite, after Moby Dick and Adam Bede.