View Single Post
Unread 01-18-2021, 01:03 AM

It seems strange to me to speak of VR "precipitat[ing] a golden age of poetry" when poetry is already easily the most popular art form on the planet (in the form of hip-hop, of course). (Nor does the poetry of today strike me as especially degenerate, though of course it is difficult to get the requisite distance from one's own time.)

Better, I think to ask about the potential of VR as a distinct artistic medium. Artists of all kinds use the techniques at their disposal to manipulate their audience's senses; as VR comes into its own, it will no doubt be exploited to these same ends. This may involve the integration of poetry (as films have integrated with poetry, and music, and painting, etc.), but needn't. So, again, I think it's the wrong question to ask about it as it specifically relates to poetry.

The small-minded and timid will, of course, fear this (and will express this fear as unconsidered dismissal); such may, as always, be ignored.

I confess a certain old-fashioned fondness for the direct encounter with words alone, unmediated by anything beyond the reader's mind and ambient environment. But I would hate to be so foolish as to mistake this preference for a guiding law.