View Single Post
Unread 10-11-2018, 11:36 AM

Default Jayne Osborn is a saint

Whoop-de-do, I kinda love you, Jayne Osborn. What's up? Jayne was pointed out to me by an expatriate UK spherean living in the US as a possible helper in a task I thought was impossible. That task was to get ahold (NOW!) of information on three pages of a rare Italian book on Roman consuls that doesn't exist in any US library according to World Cat, and isn't for sale anywhere for any practical purposes. It's almost as rare as green penguins even in the UK, and it is now 71years old, published in that year 1947. Without much hope I'd tentatively asked a small handful of sphereans to see if they could nip into one of the relatively few European libraries where it exists, and -- without batting an eye -- Jayne jumped into her 12 cylinder 800 HP Maserati, drove speedily and cautiously to one of those awesome university libraries somewhere in England, waved her credentials, swooped to the upper vaults, photoed those pages, the title page, and for good measure its spine, and effortlessly (almost) emailed me the pictures, which I am digesting for immediate use next week at a synod of classicists in another US state. I will reimburse her for jet fuel and incidentals.
Thank You, Jayne!