Thread: Rupi Kaur
View Single Post
Unread 01-06-2018, 10:35 AM

Andrew,

I really like you. But so many non sequiturs.

'Why?'

Why is the actual quality of the poems written by somebody who has sold hundreds of thousands of books an important discussion point? For people on a poetry workshop site it seems like a pretty good question to me.

'If interest in the experience young folks seem to have with her words and their form is just the sociological babble part of who/what she/her work than you already have all the answers.'

This sentence makes no sense.

'I have a young daughter who reads Rilke and Kaur and finds poetry in both.'

Good for her. So what?

'She makes me laugh much than Bill Hicks and has a better grasp of the human condition than he had on his best day.'

Again, so what? What point are you making? Obviously our family members make us laugh in ways that writers and comedians can't. I'm not setting Bill Hicks up as a great sage. I'm not even a huge fan. I just remembered the routine and thought it was funny and apposite to this topic.

'But I am partial, and think cynics are bores.'

Andrew S started this thread, presumably with the intention of gleaning some opinions on Rupi Kaur. My honest opinion is that her poetry isn't very good. At all. She seems very nice and sincere and non-affected and unpretentious as a person. I don't mind or begrudge her popularity one iota. Bad art is popular. 'Fifty Shades of Grey' is a best-seller. 'Transformers' movies are box-office hits. I don't understand your definition of 'cynic' here. I'm far from cynical.

'I like her better than T.S. Elliot.'

I assume you're joking. If not, good luck with that.

Edit: cross-posted with about three people ha!

Last edited by Mark McDonnell; 01-06-2018 at 10:40 AM.