View Single Post
Unread 11-28-2008, 09:29 AM

Julie,
I notice that in many of the poems included here you have a loose approach to meter, but that in the last three, "Particle Physics," "Re-Enty, Post-Katrina" and "Used Book," you seem to have tightened up your meter considerably. Am I right to assume that you started out writing loosely and have gradually come closer to the traditional use of meter, or do you still go back and forth between the two approaches? I ask because I used a looser meter when I started writing (partly because I had taught myself and simply didn't know what the rules were and partly because I knew that editors looked down on traditional use of form and I thought they might not be as put off if it were applied loosely). I think some of my early blank-verse pieces were accepted by editors who thought they were free verse. As I started posting on Eratosphere and starting learning what the accepted rules of meter were, I found I was less likely to adopt the looser sort of meter (though I still prefer meter with lots of variations). I am wowed by the content of all of your poems, but the level of polish in the last three particularly appeals to me.

Susan