View Single Post
Unread 06-21-2014, 03:24 PM

Strange to think that I can buy an original painting and be the only person to have it because there is only one of it and not have the "right" to do anything with it other than own it, when my owning it makes it impossible for anyone else to do anything with it...

But thanks, Roger. Does that mean that (technically) I have to get a licence and pay for the use of it, as I have always done with images I didn't own? Over and above what I paid for the picture in the first place? I suppose it does, and I suppose the artist might ask for more than I can afford; she has quite a reputation now. We shall see.

I couldn't possibly ask her to "give" me the right to use the image now that I know she has the right to put her own price on it. That would feel like begging. I am a bit embarrassed at having assumed that I might own it already.

In practice it may all work out as Bill and Jerome suggest, but I am so glad I asked.

Thank you all.

(And extra thanks to Bill, for the post (above) that I hadn't seen when I submitted mine and went to bed...)

Last edited by Ann Drysdale; 06-22-2014 at 02:21 AM. Reason: I woke to find that I had cross-posted with Bill.