View Single Post
Unread 11-18-2015, 09:05 PM
Administrator

The time is now to de-classify the Top-Secret Yodeler and the Top-Secret Distinguished Guest for our Translation bake-off, plus reveal our the bake-off finalists. But first, a big thank you to our Top-Secret Yodeler for the skillful and inspired yodeling of translated lyrics. And equally a big thank you to our Top-Secret Distinguished Guest for the sillful and generous comments for the finalist translations. Without further ado, it's my pleasure to tally the popular vote count and bring you the popular winners, as presented by our TSDG--

TOP THREE WINNERS by popular vote of the 2015 Translation Bake-off are:

1. Bake-off Dish E--"The Black Cat", French lyrics by Aristide Bruant, translated by Kyle Norwood (19 votes)
2. Bake-off Dish B--"The Song of the Insufficiency of Human Endeavor", German lyrics by Bertolt Brecht translated by Diane Arnson Svarlien (10 votes)
3. Bake-off Dish J--"The Ballad of Sexual Dependency", German lyrics by Bertolt Brecht by Jan Schreiber (9 votes)

Congratulations to our WINNER Kyle Norwood! And Congratulations to our second- and third-place translators, Diane Arnson Svarlien and Jan Schreiber respectively.

And the Judge's Picks are:

1. Bake-off Dish B--"The Song of the Insufficiency of Human Endeavor", German lyrics by Bertolt Brecht translated by Diane Arnson Svarlien
2. Bake-off Dish H--"Ode to Cassandra", French lyrics by Pierre Ronsard by Catherine Chandler
3. Bake-off Dish J--"The Ballad of Sexual Dependency", German lyrics by Bertolt Brecht by Jan Schreiber

Next, here are the remaining finalists in the order they were posted:

Bake-off Dish A--"I Am a Man" by Mary McLean
Bake-off Dish C--"[...]Long-gone Ladies" by Ann Drysdale
Bake-off Dish D--(2 songs with "Alas, alas!") by Susan McLean
Bake-off Dish F--"Oh, Ola, Ola..." by Marion Shore
Bake-off Dish G--"Ne Me Quitte Pas" by Skip Dewahl
Bake-off Dish I--"Sister Dear" by Marion Shore
Bake-off Dish K--"Belle de Nuit" by Brian Allgar

Congratulations and thank you to all! Thanks also go to all the participants!

Finally, who is our Top-Secret Yodeler, who is our Top Secret DG? Check the TSDG's posts, where the username should be, by now, decoded and declassified ... yes, it was quite a feat of a one-person dual role-play!

Cheers,
...Alex