View Single Post
Unread 01-03-2018, 06:19 AM
Distinguished Guest

Very nice. Thanks for posting this. Though Li's is undoubtedly the easiest on the ears (I tend to favor the "Sensory Deprivation Chamber" approach), my favorite was Hong, who seemed to understand the poem -- a feeling which I wish I had gotten from more of the students -- and he recited it in a very appropriate setting. Form to function, you might say.

The rap version was interesting, though a bit too "hip" for me. For this reason, I absolutely adore Leparulo. What a brave soul, adopting that British accent for his reading! Bless those, who are willing to risk looking like fools for our art.

The sideways presentation -- she was cute. I am not convinced that when Dickinson wrote, "Tell the truth, but tell it slant," that this is what she meant

Student Pakarek, the proper pronunciation is "DA-masked," not "duh-MASKED." It matters, for the sake of meter. "I have seen ROses DAmasked..."

You might want to let Mr. Gioia know, (I have seen him a handful of times at the West Chester conference, but have not spoken with him for years and years), there is a typographical error in the video from Miguel Cervantes. The sonnet he recites is not Shakespeare's Sonnet 16, as captioned, but Sonnet 18 -- "Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?" rather than "But wherefore do not you a mightier way..." The "bloody tyrant Time" is a far cry from the beauty of a summer's day!

Interesting, too, to discover that Professor Gioia has actual students. For whatever reason, I had imagined his position was more figurehead than filling. Bravo to him. It reinforces my hope in the new generation.

Thanks again.

Jennifer