Thread: Rupi Kaur
View Single Post
Unread 01-04-2018, 10:44 PM

Susan and Andrew (above),

Well, I don't disagree with anything either of you say. I certainly don't think she's worthless. As I said in my post I'm sure people find her poems genuinely inspirational and they give people what they need. People find those 'inspirational' Facebook quotes inspirational too, presumably, or they wouldn't post them. People find Taylor Swift inspirational. I genuinely have no problem with that. But her poetry just isn't very good, and no amount of worrying whether her audience are being patronised by highbrow critics will change that. I find the idea that her poetry shouldn't be criticised because this is the kind of poetry that 'ordinary' people can understand and relate to slightly patronising itself. There are many steps on the ladder of poetic 'accessibility' between Kaur and 'highbrow' poetry and many of them are much better. But to go back to what Andrew S asked in the original post:

Quote:
Is there something in her style, her form, that other poets can learn from? Can she be the harbinger of a poetic resurgence? Or is her work just a product of a consumer culture that's meant to be consumed and tossed aside
I think it's a bit of a false dichotomy. The answer to all three is 'no'.