View Single Post
Unread 07-23-2017, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Novick View Post
Bill, I regretted not the content of what I had typed, which was correct, intelligent, wise, and humane, but the fact that you would inevitably respond with a condescending lecture of some sort or another. I had hoped to avoid that. I guess I'm lucky enough to get one anyway. At least this time—I'm hunting for some silver lining here—you skipped the part where you gratuitously insult my poetry, so there's that.
How can I possibly condescend to someone who is probably ten times more intelligent than I am? How many times have I demeaned myself, right after one of my "lectures" - which are only one person in the Peanut Gallery trying to get his peanutty views across? How many times have I called myself a "numbnuts"? Too many times to count.

I haven't said anything more insulting about your poetry than some of the others. I remember Roger Slater laid into you quite a bit there. And there were others who were on the negative side. I have praised your poetry, as well as said critical things.

I suggested you try free verse, yes. That was cold. But sometimes critique is very cold. I do think you should give free verse a shot. Lots of great poets wrote metrical verse as well as free verse.

When I posted my first metrical poem in the "High Critique" forum at another site, in 2001, I was sure I was going to receive lavish praise. I received two responses, one from the webmaster himself, who told me to find my own voice and stop trying to imitate Homer and/or Shakespeare. The other response, from a senior member, told me the same thing, but added that my poem was chock full of cliches, archaic and/or obsolete words and terminology, and that my style was derivative and pretentious.

I was 37. You're much younger.

Look at it this way. In a short amount of time, you'll have made a name for yourself, and I'll still be a nobody. It's the truth.