Thread: The Penn Review
View Single Post
Unread 05-20-2022, 03:10 PM

Ralph, David and Cam, thank you!

Ralph, that’s good to know that you like the venue.

Because I’m not very directly linked to poetry networks (no MFA etc) I have to use a kind of ‘rule of thumb’ to work out which ones I send work to - basically this looks like whether I like/personally rate the work on site, plus acceptance stats, plus editorial team (& I have a friend who swears by the Garstang list so I use that too). And yes, I’m trying to build a bio. It’s hard work!

There are fewer visual poets out there than there are text poets. It means I’m at an advantage when it comes to publications, particularly as some parts of the poetry world shift online, which is an animation/image hungry space. Partly that shift (paradoxically) makes me sad, as I don’t read as much metrical poetry out there as I’d personally hope to read.

David and Cam - Thanks both, I was rejected (for text-only) before I was accepted for the visuals! I am rejected as much as I’m accepted : ) But I learn things with every rejection, and, curiously, I think the rejections - and having to plough through them - helps the work in an odd way.

Sarah-Jane