Thread: photo class
View Single Post
Unread 12-16-2020, 10:01 AM

I enjoyed the aesthetic of the first five images very much & I think as stand-alone images they work well, in different ways. However, looked at as a body of work there’s perhaps more space for formative critique.

In my reading of these, there’s a mixture of everyday/found and more ‘managed’ images. That might be something to consider if you’re trying to reference the everyday/found/off-the-cuff myth in our everyday.

So, for example, the image I think works the most effectively with form/concept/mode coming together would be ‘Charon’, which reads to me as both evocative of the everyday and referencing the ‘other/myth’ in this through aesthetic, colour & title. It’s a beautiful picture. In contrast, ‘changeling’ looks more posed.

I think maybe there’s more coherence you could bring to this a series, too. For example, the first image sets me up to expect some kind of narrative progression as it’s titled as a ‘prologue’. So I’m expecting a kind of cohesive dramatic unfolding that’s centred on Greek Myth, but this isn’t entirely delivered, as the concept moves to a more general western fairytale (in my reading) in ‘Changeling’. You might be trying to bring out the juxtaposition of contemporary/ancient but I don't wholly read this throughout. For example, in 'Hamadryas' the model isn’t wearing particularly contemporary clothes - she wears clothes that for me evoke more of a sense of 'generic fairytale' - so I don’t read emphasis being put on the mixture of classical/contemporary.

But, as stand-alones, for me, they all work well in their different ways. I hope that this is useful!

Last edited by Sarah-Jane Crowson; 12-16-2020 at 10:03 AM.