Thread: Sisyphus
View Single Post
Unread 01-24-2015, 10:30 AM

I am going under the assumption that this thread is about the sculpture, not the photo because of the title.

Ok, well, from what I can see this looks very interesting. The face looks successful, having quite a bit of personality. The placement of the face on the burnt out log gives the figure nice movement and a wonderful posture.

I must agree with Michael about the photo. I am sensing a lack of confidence here. I feel this from both your threads. Even though random chance can be used to great effect in art, when it works it is because it was decided that it be part of that work. When things are let to fall where they may in this lazy way, it is due to a wrong beliefs about one's abilities.

If you truly believe that this is a fine sculpture, you would photograph it with more respect. You would believe that you can get a presentable shot and that the piece is worthy of a presentable shot. From what I can see, the piece is certainly worthy of the moving of a hose.

I have been through these crises of confidence myself so I know what I'm talking about.

If you are willing, I ask you to:
*Look at your sculpture several times a day and see which light works nicely. What shadows happen.
*Rig up some sort of backdrop for your shoot, maybe flip a table on it's side or hang a sheet, a screen door? whatever.
*Give us shots from a few angles and a few close ups on details.