View Single Post
Unread 08-18-2018, 06:33 AM

Well it is an interesting discussion. It reminds me of the controversy over William Styron’s The Confessions of Nat Turner, which won a Pulitzer and was published in 1967.

At the logical limit of the group identity argument, no one should try to publish a book like Styron’s except someone who was a black slave in Virginia in the early 1800s. That seems absurd; it makes historical fiction impossible. Toni Morrison should not have published Beloved, because Toni Morrison was not herself a slave, nor did she have a daughter, much less… Annie Proulx should not have written "Brokeback Mountain" because Annie Proulx is neither a male homosexual nor a cowboy.

I think the strict group identity argument finally rests on the denial that there is such a thing as human nature. I affirm that there is such a thing, and that we all partake of it, even if I can’t define it with mathematical rigor. I believe with Mark in the miraculous human capacity for imagination and empathy, which lives in literature at its best. We need more of it.

My buck fiddy.