View Single Post
Unread 12-03-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise Hempel View Post
p.s. I've seen beginners insulted on this forum, told they shouldn't be here. But it seems to me that these are the very people who need it the most.
This isn't a beginner's forum. How many times do we have to say that? There are any number of sites which welcome beginners and, at least in my case, if I tell somebody they're beginner (which I do very rarely, because one man's beginner is another man's genius, so it either has to be glaring - or the member brings it up) I try to recommend another site.

There's no rule about accepting crits. Some of our members jump on every suggestion and respond with five different approaches and some are far more judicious, quite possibly put more time into the poem going in, and more inclined to have faith in their own talents, and only make a few changes, and those after careful consideration. So? If you don't like it, don't bother critting the people who don't jump up and down with joy at every suggestion. And if you don't want to act on crits of your own work, don't - you may lose responses after a time, but that's your choice. And you'll also find that if you've posted a good poem - and you have a history of good poetry - people are not going to be insistent about making changes. If the poem is awful - and you ignore crits and defend every horrible line - you're going to get a good deal of pushback. That's called life.

Last edited by Michael Cantor; 12-03-2014 at 10:48 AM.