Thread: Amanda Gorman
View Single Post
Unread 01-20-2021, 06:55 PM

Oh dear. Occasional poetry, like a graduation speech, is its own punishment. On the one hand, an occasion like this is as much about visuals as about any verbal message, and in that sense Gorman did very well. She was young, attractive, energetic, talented, heartfelt, poised, and forward-looking. Those are all good things for an occasion like this, symbolizing the hopes of the country. It sent a positive message of renewal and of valuing communities--women, people of color--who have been devalued by the previous administration. I admired Gorman's use of wordplay and soundplay, and she may well mature into a poet of depth and vision. But I don't think that anyone expects a 22-year-old to have the kind of perspective and wisdom to produce a poem that is going to be memorable as a poem. So we got a reasonably appealing pep talk. I wish her well. I don't know her other work, but it will be interesting to see what she can do without the constraints of having to participate in an inauguration.

Susan