Thread: Amanda Gorman
View Single Post
Unread 01-27-2021, 07:22 AM

James: "...the fact that she's a Harvard grad has absolutely nothing to do with her ability as a poet. My guess is that she'll end up going to medical school or something. She's 22."

I think it informed her. We are the sum total of our experiences. It provided a platform. —Why medical school? She has said point blank with a twinkle in her eye her that she wants to be president of U.S. in 2036. That would indicate politics, right? I think she is an artist in her bones.

Thanks for the link Julie. I'm going to watch.

Last night I was listening to/watching a Rattle Poetry video podcast and hung on just long enough (I was tempted to stop because I was falling asleep) to see/hear a spoken word poet named Alora Young, a high school student and youth poet laureate for the southern states. Here it is.
Before you decide NOT to listen, I beg you to skip directly to 13:45 and listen to her recite a poem entitled, “Cameraman”. I think it manages to bridge the gap between spoken word and written word poetry. As she recites it, the poem is being scrolled on the screen.
I think it’s better than Amanda Gorman’s inaugural poem. Please watch and let me know what you think.