View Single Post
Unread 10-10-2019, 08:46 PM

Trump's justification for abandoning the Syrian Kurds to their now-grim fate is that they didn't help us at Normandy. Did any Trumps help us at Normandy, or anywhere else in WW2? Did Trump himself help us in Vietnam? How many deferrals did those bone spurs get him--five, was it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McDonnell View Post
Julie - Although I do still agree with the essence of what you say, I suppose, to be fair, the expression 'to be someone's bitch', in this context at least, doesn't really suggest a person on the receiving end of a penis in an ordinary consensual relationship, whether heterosexual or homosexual. It's more of a prison joke or trope, connoting the idea that you have been coerced into being someone's regular rape victim. So whether the phrase is actually sexist or homophobic (apart from the word 'bitch' itself) is more complicated.
Yes, sadly I am familiar with the prison rape culture context in which a man decides it would be better to have semi-consensual sex with someone he has semi-chosen, rather than being serially raped with no choice. (Although some prison bitches, like their female counterparts on the outside, get pimped by their so-called protectors, and they have no choice about that.)

My cousin left prison far more messed-up than when he went in as a young and physically unimpressive man. It's not hard to guess why. I fail to see how condoning the cruel and unusual punishment of prison rape culture benefits the society into which prisoners are eventually released, after their supposed "rehabilitation."

And metaphors that chortle in sadistic glee at prison rape culture obviously condone those dehumanizing atrocities.

I still see misogyny and homophobia in the prison bitch metaphor. To me, it strongly implies that a passive role is to be sneered at in either a male or a female, even if that role is enthusiastically consensual.

In fact, in the metaphor, the degree of contempt actually increases with the supposed enthusiasm of the bitch for demonstrating submission. The metaphor suggests that he isn't really being raped, because he loves being dominated by the strongman, doesn't it? So, too, the fellatio variant implies that the more demeaning the situation and the more rancid the ballsack, the more enjoyable the experience for the passive one, and the greater the contempt of the speaker.

The reason for that correlation between consent and contempt is probably to avoid the notion that the "bitch" is being victimized, and is therefore a sympathetic figure. But I still can't help feeling sympathy for the person portrayed as the bitch in this scenario. And I don't necessarily want to feel sympathy for certain people.

Dang, there goes my moral high ground.

Last edited by Julie Steiner; 10-10-2019 at 08:49 PM.