View Single Post
Unread 10-28-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Rather than move at all to the left to win over those who didn't vote in 2016, they'd rather try to win over the white working class votes who switched to Trump from Obama, because they (wrongly) think that was the difference maker in 2016
Is trying to get the white working class vote such a bad thing? They're a pretty big demographic. I miss the days when 'moving to the left' and 'winning over the white working class' weren't seen as mutually exclusive. Now the latter seems to be a euphemism for peddling bigotry and nationalism. As someone who grew up white and working class (I'm still the first, the second is fuzzier these days) it makes me sad. Being working class used to be virtually synonymous with voting for a left leaning party.

Aren't all those examples of things that centrists are 'more concerned' about than right-wing terrorism just examples of people exercising their opinions about various stuff in a free society? I think it goes without saying that ideologically motivated murder (of any stripe) is worse than, say, left wing silliness on a university campus. But someone writing a story about the latter doesn't have to issue that caveat before they write it.
Do the likes of CNN really regularly give lovely puff profiles to far-right ideologues? If they do, that is indeed messed up.

I don't want to argue. And it's not really my place. I just think you (and by 'you' I mean America) need to vote him out. The Democrats need to do whatever it takes to make that happen.

Last edited by Mark McDonnell; 10-28-2018 at 07:42 PM.