View Single Post
Unread 03-23-2019, 12:11 PM

We don’t yet have a Ballet Thread. Nevertheless, last night my spouse and I saw a performance at New York city’s City Center for a precisionist synchronized swimming revival of George Balanchine and Rodgers & Hart’s “I Married An Angel,” whose humorous ensemble performances were better than clockwork, and whose prima ballerina exhibition of her toe dancing, angel gestures, and ground level flying were impossible to differentiate from flawless, as well as light-hearted. (Just kidding about the “swimming”! No water was involved anywhere!). Her name is Sara Mearns, and she is married to the Director and Choreographer, Joshua Bergasse. (Balanchine married his prima ballerina, Vera Zorina, onstage at the New Year’s Eve performance of 1938 - alas, perhaps, she was not his only wife.) Anyway, Milady Mearns seemed to so enjoy being impossibly adept and clever at her metier that she brought to mind impossibly adept and clever performances wherever these appear.

Last edited by Allen Tice; 03-23-2019 at 08:26 PM. Reason: typo on my shirt-pocket sized iPod that I often use