Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Old 07-08-2018, 09:39 PM

Default Unreliable Tags

Unreliable Tags

Blurt-bummed, sniggery,
Mum-tied, snuggery,
eye-glassed, figury,
thick-thighed, thuggery,
hook-nosed, jiggery,
rock-thewed, ruggery,
dark-hued, niggery,
brass-bound, buggery,
cream-bunned, piggery,
and
shit-scared, fuggery
sorts of boys.

And
blurt-bummed dark-hued,
eye-glassed, thick-thighed,
hook-nosed, rock-thewed,
Mum-tied, brass-bound,
shit-scared, cream-bunned
sorts of boys.

And all
sniggery, snuggery,
figury, thuggery,
jigury, ruggery,
niggery, buggery,
piggery, fuggery
sorts of boys.

Are sort of us.

Last edited by Jan Iwaszkiewicz; 07-08-2018 at 09:41 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:32 PM
Distinguished Guest

Any takers on this?
Old 07-09-2018, 01:34 PM

Some interesting sniggering sonic tags, but for what reason evades me except that all have to do with boys, who perhaps enjoy sound games. The heights or depths of each entry are beyond me!
Old 07-09-2018, 01:34 PM
Administrator

I posted here earlier today - at least, I thought I had. I think I must have been interrupted by a phone call, or something, and forgot to post it, because it's not here...Drat!

Well, what I wrote was along these lines:

Lots of views, Jan, but no comments yet, so here goes:

Perhaps loads of people are too nervous to point out that the lines ''dark-hued, niggery'' and ''niggery, buggery'' might offend. I think it would be wise to leave them out.

Otherwise, I like some of the images, and don't understand others. The significance of the title eludes me too.

There, the silence has been broken...

Jayne

PS. The mystery is solved. I did a ''Control V'' and the above post appeared, so I'd obviously copied it but didn't get around to pasting it.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:40 PM

Hi Jan,

I’m going to go out on a limb and say that, without the ‘niggery’ or ‘buggery’ there is no poem, since the whole thing is a series of taunts arranged as a nursery rhyme with the expected message (‘be nice and understanding, please!’) tacked onto it. Leaving out genuinely offensive ones would make the poem toothless. I actually think ‘hook-nosed’ to be the worst taunt here in a way because of its historical associations.

For me the poem doesn’t work as I’m not blown away by the sounds or repetition and the final play on ‘sorts/sort’ doesn’t do much. I’ll also note that ‘sorts of boys / Are sort of us’ leaves out your female audience.

Sorry to be so negative, but I thought that you might find it useful to know why one reader was left cold.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:09 PM

This is a tilt at political correctness. A tilt at the risible belief that a word has more power than a bullet. It is the politics of coercion.

We have imported much downunder including a manufactured sensitivity to words that do not hold a cultural significance.

Here are words but no hate speech, quite the opposite.

Ralph,

Boys? Well aggression is seen as their name in world currency today.

It is not any individual phrase here that necessarily holds more sway than any of the others. The somewhat mindless rhyming of rap is taken to an extreme here.

Jayne,

Thank you for breaking the silence and thank you for your advice I wrote this in Word and ported it in.

If those words you refernce are taken out this has no meaning and that is the point.

Tags are the labels that we put on things and on people. A tag is also the term used for the work of graffiti artists. Naming gives power over the object named. Conversely, in many cultures names are forbidden for certain things, God or gods may not be named, the dead may not be referenced by name lest they return and so on. We rail against the shallowness of those who compartmentalise people by popping them in boxes and yet tags do just the same.

As poets we can empower or disempower words. We have seen fuck lose its strength over recent years Shakespeare's dictum of “accustomed by fell deed” works its magic.

Edward,

It is alright your response is to be expected.

Leaving out a female side to this is also a tilt at current, coercive correctnesses (whew). The belief that aggression is totally a male domain is often seen as a self evident truth.

Normally I would say that if one has to explain one has failed but I think that I will stick to my guns on this one.

Regards and thanks,

Jan

Last edited by Jan Iwaszkiewicz; 07-09-2018 at 06:12 PM.