Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 06-24-2002, 12:12 PM
Distinguished Guest Host

Ah, no such luck, Len, I'm afraid.
However, I'm very taken with the idea, and as it happens the Church of England is looking for a new Archbishop of Canterbury as we speak; so I'm sending them my application and CV.
(I agree entirely with Tim, Richard and Ralph, by the way. No reason for anybody to look down their noses at others' achievements, however small, or to look to create pecking orders.)
Regards,
David
Unread 06-24-2002, 08:48 PM

I think it is great news to hear of anyone at
Erato accomplishing anything at all, however
minor a publication or event. I'm stuck down
here in South Carolina and I like it but there
aren't a lot of poets cramming into readings that
I know of. So I enjoy hearing about what is
being done by people, especially by people I can
now put a face and voice to having met them at
West Chester.

Here is story that could happen to you. I have a
chapbook of poems, and just before West Chester
this year a high school teacher in
Michigan had two classes study one of my poems,
Angel in the Park, which she found on my website
on the internet, and all the students wrote me
a 'memo', saying what they liked and didn't like,
and so I wrote each student back individually, and
sent each one a copy of the chapbook. It took me
almost two days to write each student back, but it
was interesting to see what they had to say. The
teacher was very happy, and the students were
amazed anyone would respond to them like that.

Part of this subject is the internet: it is important
for people to have a website. I have heard from
people all over the world. And the internet
allows like-minded people to communicate easily.

And yes, I would like to have more well-known or
respected writers here, as it is the nature of people
to want others around who are moving on to higher
levels, but I also seem to see every now
and then a glimmer from young people, too.

TJ
Unread 06-24-2002, 11:04 PM

To All,

Beginning with Michael's comment, and all that follow (thanks for not "creaming" me), I've been thoroughly persuaded to change my mind. I think I did express a rather snobby attitude regarding announcements of "any" credits (but not about the excellent moderators or the Lariat's guests Tim: I just tried to use Mezey and Hecht as examples). I think that all who expressed the importance of "any" credits to the novice are dead on. I appreciate the generosity expressed in this thread.

Because of the generosity it yielded, however, I'm not SORRY that I started it. Thanks for setting me straight.

Bob

Unread 06-25-2002, 01:57 AM

This is an interesting discussion.

I got pointed over to this board by a friend, since I recently had one of my poems picked up for an anthology, and have been writing more poetry lately, but I was wondering: What constitutes a member, and are the announcements only for poems?

I'm actually much more published as a novelist and short story writer, but that goes somewhat outside the ken of the poetry reviews everyone's mentioning.

Also, what of novels or short stories that include original poetry as part of them?

I don't want to dillute the announcements too much, but I do have a few things I'm proud of that are out or soon to be out.

Kevin Andrew Murphy http://www.sff.net/people/Kevin.A.Murphy

Unread 06-25-2002, 08:13 AM
Honorary Poet Lariat

I agree with you, Tom, and applaud Bob Clawson's change of heart on this issue. There's a human side to what we do that defies "ranking" and wants to be shared, whatever its paractical value toward improving craft and so forth. For instance, here's a quick story that's added to my joy in writing: some few days ago I heard, by e-mail, from a woman who wrote me fifty years ago to say she liked some poems of mine she read somewhere! We exchanged several letters then, noting how difficult it was to find time for writing--we were both young housewives holding down first jobs--but lost track of each other eventually. This new exchange, half a century later, with an unseen friend who seems the same, has moved me in a way I can't explain; it suggests that the people behind the poems remain themselves through changing circumstances, and maybe something in the poems is also constant. That's something I seldom think about, since I tend to write one poem at a time and have little sense of
continuity from one to the other. There are "circularities" of that kind in life, and they feel like something standing on the periphery of your thought, looking at you.
Unread 06-25-2002, 01:10 PM

That's a charming story Rhina. Sounds like a poem in the making to me. Wouldn't that be a lovely unbirthday gift for your friend?

I agree with Ralph--this place has by far the most "names" of any I have seen on the web. Much credit to Tim for knowing how to charm 'em into stopping by. It's amazing to read contemporary metrical poetry in mainstream presses and books and realize: oh my it's ___________.

I have only sent stuff out once, not to publish, but to see what kind of reaction it would get. Wiley Clements of Susquehanna wrote me a charming letter back and sent me to Erato. I know if I had come here and found the attitude of "Let's see YOUR CV before we decide whether or not to let you participate," I would have run for the hills. Or gone back to writing strictly free verse. LOL. Glad to see you changed your mind about that Bob. You were one of the first people on here to say to me, hey, you can learn how to write this metered stuff and I thank you. That kind of encouragement can make a real and crucial difference.

Tom

PS David, if you do become Archbishop of Canterbury, I would love a guided tour of the church. And a stop by Stoke Poges (I wanna a t-shirt that says, "My parents went to Stokes Poges and all I got was this lousy t-shirt"). How's the monument proposal progressing?
Unread 06-27-2002, 08:25 AM
Lariat Emeritus

Dear Kevin Andrew Murphy, This is a perfectly appropriate place to call our attention to your publications in prose. Having narrowly survived my four-year brush with an English Department which demanded that I write prose, I determined to become a one-trick pony. But that will never lessen my admiration for writers who attempt many genres.
Unread 06-27-2002, 11:25 AM

I'm more of a lurker here at Erato, but wanted to respond to this post as "Announcements" is one of my favorite places to check.

These announcements continue to introduce me to new poets and new journals that may be not available in my part of the country.

I think it's good to share successes whether it's publication in a small journal or the Ruth Lily Prize. As poets and writers, our communities may be small, our family members may smile when we say we were accepted into a certain publication (having never heard of it), but the acknowledgment of "yes, good job" by another poet or writer can help keep us going and not feel so isolated.

Also, I really like to see where people are submitting their work, what is getting a response and just how everyone is doing.

So for me, I like to hear them all: the grand, the little ones and the ones in between.

Just my 2 cents on the subject. Thanks for listening.

Best,
Kelli
Unread 02-04-2018, 09:15 AM
Distinguished Guest Host

I knew this topic had come up before.
Unread 02-05-2018, 10:01 AM

I'm sure you're over it by now, but I'm sorry that the Archbishop of Canturbury gig didn't work out for you, David.