Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 09-13-2019, 11:42 AM

Default Review of Chandler's Pointing Home

I like to do short reviews on Amazon of formal poetry books I have read, if I have the time and have something to say about them. Much as I enjoy reading a longer, more specific review, such as the recent one of this book by Alexandra Oliver that is on Mezzo Cammin, I think that a short review on Amazon can help more to influence an actual purchase, because it is often read by people who already have an interest in the book or author. Formal poetry doesn't get as much attention as some kinds of poetry, so I particularly want to help books I have enjoyed that don't have any reviews on Amazon.

Susan

https://www.amazon.com/Pointing-Home..._at_pdctrvw_dp
Unread 09-19-2019, 11:26 AM

Susan, just wondering why your review isn't up yet at Amazon. There's one review by Ned Balbo.
Unread 09-19-2019, 01:57 PM

Ralph, I can see my review, which was posted on Sept. 13. You have to scroll way down to see it, once you hit the link.

Susan
Unread 09-20-2019, 04:50 PM

Great review, Susan. But cough up that fifth star!
Unread 09-21-2019, 10:31 AM

Roger, I would prefer not to give stars. Differentiating degrees of good in poetry is awfully subjective. But I think readers would trust my reviews less if I gave every book I liked five stars. I don't tend to bother to review a three-star book, but I like all of the four- and five-star books very much. I wish I had time to review all of the books I really like. But sometimes I am very busy at the time I finish the book and don't have time to review it at all. Other factors influence my choices, too, such as whether there are other good reviews of the book online already and whether I have already reviewed a book by that author. Part of my goal is to bring good formalist authors to the attention of people who like formal poems.

Susan
Unread 09-21-2019, 11:15 AM

I suppose we all react to the star system differently. I don't think five stars means that the reviewer is saying the book is perfect, or as good as any other book that has been written. To me it simply means that you are recommending the book without the slightest reservation.
Unread 09-21-2019, 02:46 PM

Roger, we all define the star system differently. For me, five stars does not mean that a book was perfect, but that I found it deeply satisfying and/or startlingly innovative in form and content. Four stars still means that it was a very enjoyable book. It partly depends on what the book sparks in me, and I cannot guarantee that that book will have the same effect on other readers. I try to define what my own tastes are and what I think is likely to appeal to other readers.

Susan