Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 04-27-2014, 08:25 AM

Default Come on, People! Share some artists you love.

Come on, People! Share some artists you love. Enrich our lives with stuff we haven't seen before. Why do you like an artist? Where did you learn of them? Post here or start a new thread (better). Thanks.
Unread 04-27-2014, 09:44 AM

Among many I love, John Singer Sargent particularly for his stunning works in white / off white - they make you just want to come right up and rub the fabric between your fingers. Arp & Miro - coz nothing's lovelier than connecting blobs. Ron Arad - for some incredible chair-things. Most glass blowers working on artistic items: the movements they make as they blow create shapes in space that are themselves kinetic art. And that's just for entrée.
Unread 04-30-2014, 09:43 PM

Nice, Seree. I am looking over this website which has his complete works (wonder if that's true?) Which are your favorites?

http://www.johnsingersargent.org/

I love this one...

The chair is formal and feminine - the dress is a feminine confection - but her attitude is like a woman to be reckoned with and she sits in the chair in a very casual way. "What? You want a piece of me?"

As far as glass - I love Chihuly
Unread 05-04-2014, 02:06 AM

http://www.portrait.gov.au/site/exhi...tewhiteley.php

This links to studies used by Brett Whiteley to do his portrait of Patrick White, one of Australia's best novelists (he won the Nobel Prize For Literature)
Brett is generally considered one of Australia's greatest moden artists, much of his work is on the 'net. I don't think the final portrait is one of Brett's best' works but it was an interesting collaboration between two artists and the studies here show that, I think.
cheers
Ross

Last edited by ross hamilton hill; 05-05-2014 at 11:00 PM.
Unread 05-06-2014, 10:54 AM

http://www.the-athenaeum.org/art/full.php?ID=53048

Sargent was awesome. I didn't see this painting on "The Complete Works" site, but I may have simply missed it.
Unread 05-06-2014, 03:24 PM

A great Sargent quote:

"A portrait is any picture that has something wrong with the mouth"
Unread 05-06-2014, 03:35 PM

Yes, Sargent is great. But let's loosen up!

How about David Park, the dean of the Bay Area Figurative movement in San Francisco. In the late '40s, Park, a student of Clifford Still, drove all his abstract pictures to the dump and began painting the figure. He inspired Richard Diebenkorn to paint figuratively, and headed a group that included Elmer Bischoff, Joan Brown, and others in the bay area. He died quite young of cancer. Google him for lots of images. Two good ones here. And a nice short video here.

Last edited by Rick Mullin; 05-06-2014 at 03:37 PM.
Unread 05-06-2014, 05:23 PM

I'm fond of kinetic sculptures. Lately I've been enjoying Anthony Howe's wind-powered pieces.

Years ago I workshopped a sonnet here featuring one of George Rhoads's rolling ball machines at Rady Children's Hospital San Diego, but the poem's been rejected by so many publishers that I guess I'll just shut up and let the sculpture speak for itself. (The RCHSD sculpture shares many of the same features as this one, but on a much smaller scale.)
Unread 05-06-2014, 06:08 PM

Julie, I remember that poem. Have you considered sending it to Ekphrasis? Otherwise keep an eye peeled for themes on ekphrasis. If I run across one, I'll let you know.
Unread 05-06-2014, 06:55 PM

Thanks, Janice. I didn't think the piece would be a good fit for Ekphrasis, since the poem discusses the piece but isn't really ekphrastic. But I guess it's worth a shot.

My favorite public art piece anywhere is the one I walked on every day on my way to and from work, when I was a librarian at the University of California, San Diego:

Alexis Smith, Snake Path, 1992

As the video points out, it's especially fun to walk on while leaving the library at night, when Bruce Nauman's colorful neon Vices and Virtues, 1988, are dancing along the top of an adjoining building.