Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 07-09-2020, 07:42 PM

Default Lebensraum

Lebensraum

You long to Anschluss me,
and I am willing
to coddle the invasion,
sacrifice my sovereign
suffrage and accept
your drilling gushers
out of my Paleozoic gneiss.

Too long lone citizen,
I have been trilling
echoes atop this Alp
where edelweiss
is flower and anthem,
but the freshet spilling
over the weirs
too often turns to ice.

So come on over.
We, a double-billing,
will bear your name,
your schedule, your precise
and many hates
and, yes,
even the killing
of all you find at odds
with Paradise.
Unread 08-01-2020, 01:24 PM

Almost four weeks and no replies. My fictive detective friend, Maurice Nebel, looked at this and said, “Whoosh, what does he mean by ‘drilling gushers’?” Does the land of edelweiss lie on an oil field? Unclear, I fear. Oil doesn’t freeze quite like water. It gets muschi. “Lebensraum” is a very loaded word, even in one of its rare appearances in a Robert Heinlein science fiction novel. There’s an evident effort to find odd rhymes, gnu to some ears, as with “gneiss.” And “anschluss” is not a neutral concept, even in Deutsch. Who’s into killing apart possibly from self defense? I don’t find this an attractive exercise, or perspicuous, but as I still like you and thank you for your plumbing certain Greek loci for me, I’m belatedly responding. What’s it all about, Alfie? What the heck are you mumbling? Paleozoic?
Unread 08-03-2020, 10:24 AM

Default Lebensraum

Aaron;

'Lebensraum' both loosly (the formation of colonies) and specifically (the expansion of Nazi Germany into surrounding countires) is a sinister thing.

The first stanza seems an attempt to treat the annexation of the Anschluss district of Austria by Germany and the term 'lebensraum' as some kind of a 'sex-play' term.

The 2nd stanza vaguely continues along the same line, I'm guessing.

And the 3rd stanza does seem to harken back to the original definition of lebensraum with its 'hates' and 'killings'. As a whole the humor of this piece seems a stretch, both unevern and unrealized.

As an aside, B(ruce) Catling, a British poet and sculptor has an evocative, fantasy treatment of lebensraum in his trilogy "The Voorh". It is where I first found 'lebensraum' as a more fully fledged concept. I suppose any term can be provided with a humorous, fantastical or historically accurate treatment. Your humorous one does not quite work for me.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dyes; 08-03-2020 at 12:21 PM.
Unread 08-05-2020, 10:32 AM

Location: Kansas City,MO,USA. There is also Kansas City,KS but I don't live there.

Hi Aaron:

Anschluss and Lebensraum were completely separate sets of events. The first refers to the more or less consented and well-received annexation of Austria by the 3rd Reich. The second had to do with the bitterly resisted and fought off invasion of Poland and European Soviet Union to create Hitler's "living space" for German settlers and eliminate "Jewish Bolshevism, the source of all evils". Conflating those disparate historical facts makes the poem appear disjointed and less credible when it comes to its meaning and intentions.

Good luck with your next poem:
Unread 08-05-2020, 12:01 PM

Fwiw, an "Alptraum" is a nightmare, oddly enough. Sometimes one has to scream, says Maurice Nebel.