Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 01-18-2019, 06:21 PM

Allen, yeah that is wonderful. Thanks. Not sure what it has to do with the thread haha. Oh, the 'Stuffed Owl' bad poetry book? Is that also the name of this song?? Confused and tired. Goodnight all.

Glad the Sphere's back.
Unread 01-19-2019, 09:08 AM

Will Sam accept my Friend request at Facebook? I'm holding my breath.
Unread 01-19-2019, 11:27 AM

Julie, as I said above, "The only difference here is that one can see his or her work published without having to pay for the book."

I do keep checking Poetizer to see when ads will start appearing there, just like Facebook. I can't imagine that someone has set up the site out of the goodness of their hearts. As I also said, it seems like a "safe space" where the poets can remain anonymous and not have to worry about criticism or getting their feelings hurt. I don't even think it's possible for one poet to contact another.

Some years after 1989, when the World of Poetry (or its successor) did start giving real prizes, one of my students won $5000 for her poem.
Unread 01-21-2019, 12:53 AM

Sorry for missing the point, Sam. I do that. Frequently. Thanks for the gracious correction, after I had been so ungracious to you.
Unread 01-23-2019, 10:28 PM

How did you miss the point, Julie? If I say, as Sam has said about Poetizer, that it was "not a good idea" to elect George Bush and that the only difference between him and Trump was that Bush understood he was an idiot and let people with brains advise him, I'm clearly mocking Bush. The fact that I've identified a significant Trumpian vice that Bush didn't share doesn't change that.

Sam's claim that he wasn't making fun of those on the site is disingenuous, and you have no reason to apologize for calling him on it.

I'm less kind-hearted than you, Julie, and less boldly opinionated and clever than Sam ("Some beginners should become begunners" is a good line!). I would neither publically mock those beginners, nor stand up for them. For you, Julie, I gladly stand up.

Last edited by Max Goodman; 01-23-2019 at 11:05 PM.
Unread 01-24-2019, 02:15 AM

I do not think it called for to reproach a motive in Sam either real or imagined, nor ought we to redress his sallies with supercilious gravity; since, having natural good-humor lurking in my heart, I could not refuse a whimsical game of no earthly consequence myself. I took it for an excuse to dissipate the pall of academical austerity.

To let no thread of wit or whimsy go
sans echoes of unchecked Malvolio
might be unsocial. But there is no shame
if one mistook this not so clearcut game.

Last edited by Erik Olson; 01-24-2019 at 05:03 AM.
Unread 01-24-2019, 05:33 AM

Erik, I do enjoy your occasional verses and hope you are collecting them. Go-Malvolio is a very nice rhyme.

Cheers,
John
Unread 01-25-2019, 02:04 PM

I always loved The Stuffed Owl, which contained snippets of some very famous poets who occasionally let their guard down. Poetizer, as far as I can tell, is not really a "social network" at all, just a digital bulletin-board; there doesn't seem to be much interaction among its posters, which is probably for the best. I don't think, however, that I've ever read a taxonomy (a contemporary one, anyway) of what makes bad poetry bad. Pound had a stab at it over a century ago, and Pope did it two centuries earlier.