Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Closed Thread
Unread 05-15-2019, 03:06 PM

Now, now , Julie, I never said that, I am familiar with your work, and was making the point that good poets have forsaken the Deep End in a form of rejection of hard school principle and practice. I also fear, and perhaps this is my biggest concern , that there is an unspoken fear of being elitist when posting to the Deep End

Nothing intellectually degrading was intended, nor indeed said, just an observation
On current proclivities.

Jim
Unread 05-15-2019, 03:17 PM

Mark, I hasten to assure you that the particular comment you quote was referring solely to the current condition of the Deep End. Nothing else.

Jim
Unread 05-15-2019, 03:33 PM
Administrator

Sean OK then, Jim,

This is fighting talk from a new member, and not necessarily what I'd call a good start. A response like "Misses the point'' will not help your case, and neither will "honouring the spirits" of Poets Past by posting at The Deep End.

Messrs. Kerrigan, Wilbur and Murphy are all deceased...but I'll grant that maybe you're aware of that and were only alluding to them...

There has always been the choice of posting on the Metrical board or TDE; that choice remains, but members post poems at The Deep End for “advanced critique, close reading, and frank comments”, and not for heroic reasons.

As Mark said, we've already had more than enough debate on this topic. You're coming across as rather arrogant, I'm afraid.

Jayne
Unread 05-15-2019, 03:35 PM

Three days indeed. Sandbox is a very Eratosphere word. You must have been lurking here for years. Forgive me, I mean no disrespect; I, too, lurked for a while before I joined, but I am intrigued.

The regular prunings of the Deep End content mean that if you remember the great days of the EFH and the contributions of the poets you name, you must have a very long memory. They certainly predate my own participation here.

If there's no tungsten mine in your Drakelands, it means there's a sea between us. There was a Jim once who lived in your County and he described himself as an inventor, too...
Unread 05-15-2019, 03:48 PM

All dead, including Sullivan Jayne, and yes I was referring to them, but to elaborate, in the beginning, the Deep End was the fighting pit, but posts were treated with equanimity, no one was favored, Metrical was the refuge you retired to, to lick your wounds before returning to the fray.

But that doesn’t happen any more, in effect there is but one forum, and that vibrant,great resource is redundant.
There does not appear to be a choice.
That is a shame

Jim
Unread 05-15-2019, 03:51 PM

Back to 1999, Ann.
Unread 05-15-2019, 03:55 PM

What ancient ghost is this?
Unread 05-15-2019, 03:57 PM

Sean/Jim, how large, exactly, is your chin?
Unread 05-15-2019, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:
There does not appear to be a choice.
I've posted at The Deep End, Jim, but never had to lick my wounds, and there IS a choice, regardless of what you think.

You're sticking your neck out and getting people's backs up - as I said before, this is not a good start to becoming a respected member.

It's obvious, as Ann commented, that you've been lurking here for years. Now that you've actually joined you'd be a lot better off getting to know a few people, making friends, and feeling your way... rather than harking back to the "good old days".

What are you hoping to achieve here?

Jayne
Unread 05-15-2019, 04:02 PM

Just before Christmas...?

Last edited by Ann Drysdale; 05-15-2019 at 04:15 PM. Reason: coming at it gently, in accordance with my whimpering coyness.
Closed Thread