Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 03-07-2020, 11:39 PM

Besides composing "The Rubaiyat," one of the greatest poems of all time, Khayyam wrote a treatise on Pascal's Triangle, one of the most intriguing of all mathematical entities. And he was not alone in his mastery of quatrains and quadratics. The Swiss mathematician Leonhard Euler, who left us some of math's most beautiful equations, also knew "The Aeneid" by heart, all 10,000 lines of it, in Latin.

Last edited by Tim McGrath; 03-08-2020 at 12:42 AM.
Unread 03-08-2020, 01:42 PM

I think the only "hand-waving" in paragraph two is this: "It is probably not "unitary" since if it possesses awareness even slightly like what we as humans have". That's direct opposite is an emotionally cold Everything indeed. (At least from time to time.) Very, very, cold by my human emotional standards. All the more reason to act as responsibly as I at least can endure. Which has its limits. I've spent years trying to figure out the World War II holocaust and the huge inhumanities we have seen around us recently in Africa and elsewhere and know from the past, as well as historical plagues. I have no answers that are likely to comfort.

Last edited by Allen Tice; 03-08-2020 at 08:15 PM.
Unread 03-09-2020, 04:27 PM

Julie, some words on the ways of scientific research. Setting aside all corporate funded research that clearly has a maybe not-so-hidden agenda, good researchers often have an idea they want to confirm (a previous study OR a theory or hunch of their own). This is the case in post graduate work under a thesis or dissertation supervisor. For instance, suppose my advisor said to me (he did): “Here’s a psychological test where we know that when the independent variable is the word count of a person’s answer, the dependent variable (a speculative construct of uncertain merit) closely varies with the word count. Can you look at this?” I thought that word count was crude, and having ideas of my own and knowing about Fechner’s work in audiology, I said, “How about I do something with what I think is a more basic variable, syllable count?” (“I wanna ‘prove’ syllable count is better....”). So I counted thousands of syllables and threw the results onto a graph. Next, thanks to knowing about Fechner, I logarithmically adjusted the axes to “prove” that a similar central nervous system scaling process operated. Bingo. Ultimately, the logarithms gave way in my work to a power-law or exponential relationship that was even better. More Bingo! Correlations in the .90 region. On the other hand, just looking at something new like Galileo did is science too.

Last edited by Allen Tice; 03-10-2020 at 11:17 AM.
Unread 03-09-2020, 05:23 PM

But testing a hypothesis to determine whether your hunch is right is not the same thing as setting out to prove that your hunch is right.

In the first scenario, the experiment can be a success even if the results surprise you.

In the second, if the results surprise you, you're a failure.
Unread 03-10-2020, 08:35 AM

I’ve never mentioned all this above before and it’s not a boast. I put “prove” in quotes because it is a much abused word that people use casually. “Show” is a much better word. What is “proof”? Demonstration is pretty much all that is possible. How can I prove that I was born where my birth certificate (circumstantial evidence, possibly fraudulent) says I was? We can’t even prove that yesterday existed. There’s lots of evidence that it did, that’s all. Can I prove that I’m not a robot? Bertrand Russell tried to prove that 2+2=4. (Rick Mullin is still happy with that!) Can anyone “prove” that the sun will rise tomorrow, or that the earth is not flat? How can I prove that I love my wife? The best that is possible is to demonstrate that recently something like the International Space Station reappeared when predicted. Etc. In a sense, I was lucky with the syllable count. A negative result would have spurred some other conclusion.

I spit on “research” like that which once “proved” that tobacco didn’t kill.

Last edited by Allen Tice; 03-10-2020 at 08:44 AM.
Unread 03-10-2020, 11:22 AM

The Spanish cognate of "to prove" (probar) is usually translated with agenda-neutral words like "test" and "try" and "check out."

An implied agenda is still there in a legal context, in expressions such as the burden of proof, proof of innocence, etc. But that makes perfect sense. Advocates are supposed to pick a side. If your lawyer doesn't have an agenda to favor you, and is just dispassionately interested in getting at the truth of the matter, you need to find a new lawyer.
Unread 03-10-2020, 11:32 AM

I have to agree. My wife is a very good lawyer.
Unread 03-10-2020, 11:49 AM

It's not really an "agenda" just because someone says "We are trying to prove that . . . " if the attempts are conducted objectively using the scientific method or sound mathematics/logic. Mathematicians tried for years to prove Fermat's Theorem, for example, and eventually succeeded. Looking for a proof to something you strongly suspect to be true is perfectly fine as long as you don't talk yourself into seeing something that isn't there.
Unread 03-10-2020, 01:43 PM

Yes, I'm being way too doctrinaire about this. As about most things.
Unread 03-10-2020, 05:36 PM

Of course, because you are the exception that proves the rule.