Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 08-01-2021, 04:52 AM

Default Snakeskin 287

I've got three in here, this month, along with (among other things) something typically glorious by my friend Juliet Antill. Two of mine have previously appeared here, but not the subtitles one.

And I got the "key image of the issue" (as George calls it) too, thanks to Eric.

There is something by George himself too, this month. With bravura rhyming.

http://www.snakeskinpoetry.co.uk/
Unread 08-01-2021, 05:05 AM

Hi David,

Your poems are lovely and (to me) very English. Or Manx. I like your final take on Eric, and what a lovely statue!
Other Spherians to peruse as well: Jerome Betts, Robin Helweg-Larsen, likely others I didn’t catch…

Cheers,
John
Unread 08-01-2021, 05:33 AM

I read through the contents and clicked when it sounded interesting. I agree with you about Strip, that poem is brilliantly off-kilter, and manages to get inside the human psyche far better than bland realism. The rhyme scheme is truly adept.
I remember both your workshopped poems and was pleased to acquaint myself with them again. "Out of the Woods" I think is particularly strong. Subtitles (etc.) made me laugh out loud. It has the ring of utter truth, and I've occasionally noticed subtitles going absurd in the corner of the screen.

I was saddened, though, noticing that the work of Susan Jarvis Bryant had been chosen for publication. I wish she had been left to fester with her fellows in Society of Classical Poets.

Con
grat
u
lations again David, it is always good to see your work gaining an audience that it might be appreciated.
Unread 08-01-2021, 05:47 AM

Thanks very much for that, John. Apologies to both Jerome and Robin (and anyone else) for not having twigged them as Sphereans. I am a relative newcomer around these parts myself.

And thanks Cameron. Did I suggest, recently, that you should send some of your poems to Snakeskin, if you're thinking about publication? I think it would suit you. I haven't read Susan Jarvis Bryant's poem yet. Are you, too, a member of the Society of Classical Poets? I think I recognise that tone of wistful envy.

You're not channelling Cliff Richard at the end there, are you? (He hasn't got a statue, yet? I don't think I'll be getting my quill out if he has.)

Cheers both

David
Unread 08-01-2021, 06:09 AM

I'm not amember of the socp, David. I think I was going for something more like disapproval. I'm not a fan of their kind of politics.

Thanks for the suggestion. Maybe I'll submit!
Unread 08-01-2021, 06:56 AM

We’re going where the sun shines brightly;
We’re going where the sea is blue.
We’ve seen it in the movies,
Now let’s see if it’s true!

Who can forget those memorable lines?

John
Unread 08-01-2021, 01:04 PM

Yes, John, memorable indeed :-)

Congratulations, David!

Best wishes,
Fliss
Unread 08-01-2021, 02:08 PM

Congratulations!

Sarah-Jane
Unread 08-02-2021, 06:16 AM

Hi David

Lots of good things in Snakeskin as usual, especially Eric. Well done. I’m now trying to figure out the subtitle poem refs. So which Man U debutante might be mistaken for unnatural furniture?

All the best

Joe
Unread 08-02-2021, 06:33 AM

Nice one(s), David! Much enjoyed. Good to see Eric in his final form. And yes, George's poem is excellent.

I often wonder, do you ever get emails from people with thoughts on your poem as per the invite? And if so, is that always a positive experience? And is it optional -- do you have the option of going for, "If you have any thoughts on this poem, please keep them to yourself" Seriously, though, I think I'd generally just be a bit wary of sticking my email address online, not least because it might be hoovered up by a spambot.

Matt