Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 03-31-2020, 03:33 PM

https://www.livescience.com/coronavi...3KQ%2BBiUSZ_jb

Quote:
Not everyone is sure that the 6 foot measure is enough for non-outwardly ill, however. And there's at least some reason to be skeptical; for instance, a case of widespread transmission in a choir practice in Washington raises the question of whether SARS-CoV-2 can be spread via tiny aerosols, which can stay suspended in air for long periods. If that's the case, particles could potentially travel more than 6 feet before drying out, as Live Science previously reported.

What's more, even large droplets of mucus expelled with extreme force (as when coughing or sneezing), or carried by the wind can travel farther than 6 feet before falling, Wired.com reported.
Unread 04-01-2020, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Brancheau View Post
Here's a cat video

https://youtu.be/DXUAyRRkI6k
What have you done, James, by bringing cats into this?

Cats can infect each other with coronavirus, Chinese study finds
Unread 04-01-2020, 11:17 PM

Hahaha, yes, very irresponsible of me. And I'm allergic too. Speaking of irresponsible, I'm starting to rethink not wearing a mask. The downside is that, if you're wearing a mask, you're ultimately touching your face a lot more. But, if you have it and don't know (at least 25% I guess), then you are protecting others. Of course almost everyone here in Taiwan wears one and I just read that it's about to become mandatory when taking mass transit, buses, etc. (Taiwan, so far, has been about the best example of controlling this thing. 329 (out of almost 24 million) as of today and schools, for example, remain open.)

Oh, and there are roughly 150 places in Taiwan where you can get tested.

Last edited by James Brancheau; 04-01-2020 at 11:19 PM.
Unread 04-02-2020, 07:27 PM

This just popped in my head:

Quote:
...j'ai dit souvent que tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos dans une chambre.
--Blaise Pascal, Pensées, 1660
Loose translation:

Quote:
...I have often said that all human woe comes from a single thing, which is not knowing how to sit still in a room.
--Blaise Pascal, Thoughts, 1660
But I came here to post these three items:

Sacramento Bee: Health alert: One-third of coronavirus cases in Sacramento County are connected to churches

The Hill: Florida, other states allowing church services during coronavirus pandemic draw criticism

The San Diego Union-Tribune: Column: COVID-19 inspires a Catholic church to offer drive-thru confessions

Last edited by Julie Steiner; 04-02-2020 at 07:30 PM.
Unread 04-03-2020, 02:27 PM

Laugh out loud. I like to spell it out. A relationship between the virus and the religious. How novel. They put that thing in office. I'm not big enough to let this go in a time of crisis. It kills the innocent too. Throwing out everything Obama didn't quite work out. Now we're paying for a substantial part of the American public who thought political correctness was annoying and that electing a racist moron would be revolutionary. And now we're so corporately sappy with prayers and good wishes, self help crap from sincerely lazy, insular minds. It's not a tragedy until it happens to Americans. If I see another song put together from quarantined musicians and vocalists I'm going to kill a puppy.* But that's me. I'm sure everyone has their own take.

*I wouldn't, ever, of course. (All animals in my rant were supervised by the humane society and they are grateful for my donation of 10% from each poem published.)

Last edited by James Brancheau; 04-03-2020 at 03:07 PM.
Unread 04-03-2020, 06:12 PM

Never mind.

Last edited by James Brancheau; 04-03-2020 at 06:46 PM. Reason: way off-topic, even for me
Unread 04-09-2020, 08:13 PM

Report: Just 6% of world's coronavirus infections detected
Researchers argue that most coronavirus infections around the world go undetected.

https://bigthink.com/coronavirus/6-o...6#rebelltitem6
Unread 04-10-2020, 03:53 PM

If Sweden and Belarus get through this in reasonably good shape, without having shut almost everything down, it will be a clear indicator that our countries went too far, acting on hysteria and resorting to authoritarianism instead of reasonability and responsibility.

Last edited by Kevin Rainbow; 04-10-2020 at 04:01 PM.
Unread 04-10-2020, 04:10 PM

Christ. Shouldn't you be in quarantine?
Unread 04-10-2020, 04:19 PM

As to First Things, it looks as though I may soon have an exclusive claim on Mike Juster's attention...