Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 01-22-2015, 09:39 AM

Default Is Digital Art "real" fine art?

For consideration...one of our own Eratospherians:
http://www.ablemuse.com/v7/featured-artist/terri-graham
Unread 01-22-2015, 02:39 PM

I don't know about anyone else but for me digital art is just another technical process, it is no different from intaglio or silk screen or wood blocks or the various methods, like cartooning ( in the original sense of the word) whereby artists created representations. My own computer art is the culmination of over 50 years of painting and drawing, attending life drawing classes, hanging out with established artists ( Brett Whiteley was both a colleague and a guiding influence ) and trying to master the techniques of water colour and acrylics. I don't use photos, everything is drawn. The magic is the Paint app ( which is the only one I have used), it does have its own qualities, its own originality of process. I suspect some think computer art is a cheat, it isn't, it is another way of making art as difficult as any.

Last edited by ross hamilton hill; 01-22-2015 at 06:49 PM.
Unread 01-23-2015, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross hamilton hill View Post
I suspect some think computer art is a cheat, it isn't, it is another way of making art as difficult as any.
Keep it up, Mate. Stephen Hawkins has cheated death VIA computer technology. BTW, I enjoy your readings on soundcloud.

Stephen
Unread 01-27-2015, 07:23 AM

The darker side of this assumption, that the computer is a cheat, that the computer is making the art, is the idea that if you go buy an art program, you too can be an artist. Art is in the eye, not the tool.

Back to Terry Graham from my original post...It takes an artist to produce work like this (If anyone thinks the computer did this, I challenge them to go ahead and take photos of a face and a flower and make poetry like this):

I would like to point out that artists have been using camera technology for centuries.
http://petapixel.com/2012/12/11/came...f-old-masters/

I would also like to point out that artists were some of the first people to ever have their livelihoods threatened by a machine, and what did they do? They began to abstract things. They also embraced the new way of seeing that the camera presented, different cropping, motion blur, the candid aspect. Impressionism, abstraction, expressionism, surrealism...none of these would exist if it were not for the camera. Picasso was influenced by Méliès. Duchamp was influenced by Muybridge.
"Edgar Degas and Thomas Eakins were so intrigued withthis new ability to capture a moment in time that they both pursued photography as an additional
creative outlet." Arnason and Kalb - History of Modern Art. 5th ed.

Further, pointillism would not exist were it not for developments in optics. Art and technology have always been making love. If it's OK for Degas it's fine with me.